Piovano in China

A five-years long journey in China, 1900-1905

Thursday, August 03, 2006

A spring in Japan!


In the spring of 1903 I got a license of a month that allowed me, between April and May, to visit Japan and Korea. April 17th I left from Taku on board of the steamboat "Tategami Maru"  a cargo ship of 2703 tons of the Company of Navigation "Mitsubishi Kaisho" that followed the route Newchwang- Kobe and I arrived in Japan 23rd April, 6 days later. I visited numerous towns, traveling with boats and using the railroad. The spring was surely the best season to visit Japan for the foreigners that were able to admire besides the palaces and the historical monuments also the cherry trees in flower that in the month of April reached the greatest flowering. It is wonderful the profusion of flowers that grew in that country and I'm a farmer ...
Every year Europeization of Japan was more obvious and it shows in the architectural style of the residences, in the railroad net, in the spreading of the electric system. During this period I had to write a relation about Japan and understand what was happening. Japanese and Russians were quarreling too much and a new war was in the air!
But I tried however to be a tourist even if I should sign the consular register in every city in which I was. Even I should be always reperible! Like a doctor! Strange holidays!
During my visit in Japan I met Maru my Japanese wife, the most beautiful girl that I ever seen in all my life! My return to Taku was expected for may 28th and Maru cames back with me in China in another boat.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home